Monday, January 27, 2020

HAS YOUR GOLF SWING EVER GONE ON VACATION AND LEFT YOU AT HOME?


A few years ago, mine did. It seemed that no matter what I did, every iron shot I hit, no matter which club I used, went the same distance! I went to our Pro and asked if he could watch me “try” to hit a few balls and get me straightened out.

After a few shots, he said "tempo" and left me standing on the range pondering tempo as headed back to the clubhouse. In a little bit, he returned with two labels that said "TEMPO". "Your tempo is all out of whack, he said...stick these on the toe of your shoes; when you look down at your feet during setup, you will be reminded to think tempo".

To my amazement, those simple labels worked…my swing returned. Those shoes still have the label on them and I am still reminded to think “tempo”.

One of the many challenges most of us golfers face is having too many swing thoughts. When we are going through our pre-shot routine we have so many thoughts rolling around in our mind by the time we strike at the ball we have no idea what the heck is going to happen! And it seems that the negative thoughts intimidate all other thoughts.  So wipe out your, Don't screw this up", or "don't go in the pond"...you know what I mean.  Have positive thoughts, don't even think about the pond or screwing up.  Pick your target, address the ball, checking your alignment and pick out a blade of grass or something out in front of you that aligns with your target and hit over it.  Step back, take a couple of practice sings while looking downrange at your intended target, keep your mind quiet, address the ball and take one last look at your target and swing. 


The important thing out of all of this is a quiet mind and positive thoughts.  The "the evil golf devil" will get in your head and it is not easy to get him out.  Don't let that happen.  Find a way to ignore him and stay positive.  Here are some professionals talking about their swing thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment